A man is recovering after being bitten on the head by a bear in his garage in Pennsylvania.
John Swartz, 60, and his wife were watching TV at their home on 27 July when he remembered he had to turn off a hose he had left running to fill an inflatable pool.
He walked into his garage to shut off the valve – unaware that a bear had wandered in a minute earlier.
The next thing he knew, he was thrown against shelving units, heard a growl and knew immediately it was a bear.
When Mr Swartz turned to flee, the bear bit him on the head.
Holding his injured head, he stumbled back toward the house.
“Thankfully, the bear didn’t retaliate when I tripped over him,” Mr Swartz told local news outlet The Daily Item.
His wife, hearing a scream, met him at the door and quickly called 911 as he tried to stop the bleeding.
Looking out the window while waiting for the ambulance, Mr Swartz saw the 250lb (114kg) animal ambling by their car.
Chinese zoo denies its bears are humans in costume
Bear spotted cooling off in a jacuzzi during heatwave
At the hospital, doctors confirmed that his head injuries were superficial bite marks.
His shirt, which had two large paw prints on the shoulders, was taken by a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer for DNA testing. The game commission also set up a trap baited with doughnuts to try to catch the animal.
“It’s very understandable as to why it did what it did,” Mr Swartz told WOLF-TV. “I surprised it… it had one way out, and it was through me.”
Nowadays, however, he and his wife are much more careful around the home after dark.
“We look really well before we go outside now,” he said. “Especially if it’s around 8.30pm or later, I’m cautious.”